*Reminder of the* L-Root IPv6 address renumbering

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Mar 22 17:09:19 UTC 2016

Hi--

On Mar 22, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:
[ ... ]
> I appreciate the announcement of the change ahead of time, but I don't feel like it is safe to update my root hints file based on an email, which could be spoofed.  It's not that I don't trust you, but someone could spoof your email.
> So I am waiting for the new IP to show up in the root zone or some other trusted place.  Has it already been published in some place that can be verified?  (I should have asked this when it was first announced.)

You could always ask the A root server (or one of the others) what it thinks the IP should be:

% dig l.root-servers.net. @a.root-servers.net | grep l
; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> l.root-servers.net. @a.root-servers.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 14
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
;l.root-servers.net.		IN	A
l.root-servers.net.	3600000	IN	A	199.7.83.42
root-servers.net.	3600000	IN	NS	l.root-servers.net.

Regards,
--
-Chuck