ISC considering a change to the BIND open source license

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jun 14 18:36:55 UTC 2016

On 6/14/2016 10:45 AM, Evan Hunt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:10:16AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> I disagree with this but who am I to stand in the way of the goddam
>> almighty dollar, you're going to do it anyway regardless of what anyone
>> says, this comment thing is just window dressing.
>>
>> I would request that you consider doing one thing before kicking all
>> the BSD distributions in the teeth, and that is to at least publish
>> an End-Of-Patch-Release date for BIND 9.10 so that people running
>> those distros know how much time they have to get it unbundled - and
>> make sure the patches to the older version don't "accidentally"
>> fall under the new license.
>
> May I ask you to expand on why the MPL is a problem?

As I said already, the reason why is because it's a goddam shame that
some commercial a-holes out there have to spoil it for everyone by not
kicking back a few bucks of their ill-gotten gains to you guys.  (ISC)

That's why.   If that doesn't explain it, then you are just looking to
argue license religion and justify a choice you already made, and I
can't help you with that.

Ted