Questions on how to setup Reverse DNS in bind 9

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Jul 21 06:49:13 UTC 2016

On 20.07.16 21:40, Spork Schivago wrote:
>I don't remember the tools, but I know that the way cPanel handles stuff
>with Apache, it broke my website for me.   Using the cPanel / WHM
>interface, I could tell Apache to listen on one IP or the other, not both,
>unfortunately.   Some people (my wife's cell for instance) could make it to
>my site, but on her laptop, I could not.   I believe this is because I
>redirect everything to port 443 and the SSL certs were setup for the first
>IP, not the second.

huh? SSL certs should be created with required hostname, e.g.
franklin.jetbbs.com in CommonName - not the IPs.

you just need transfer both public and private keys to other server...
just watch out if you don't make the private key available to others.

>   I believe when I assigned the second IP address to
>the A record jetbbs.com, sometimes I'd go to the first IP and Apache would
>pick it up, other times, I'd go to the second IP and Apache wouldn't know
>how to handle it.   Maybe it was because the SSL certs were created when I
>only had the one IP, I don't know.   But it really messed things up and I
>had to remove the second IP again.   I think if I manually edited the
>httpd.conf file and regenerated the SSL certs, things might have started
>working.

this is your problem. don't generate ssl keys when adding IPs.

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)