Newbie's BIND Questions on DNSSEC, HA and SD

David Li dlipubkey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 01:51:44 UTC 2016

Hi Tony/Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion and pointers.

At this stage, my network design is still very fluid. However, the
basic architecture constrains call for at least three racks of
servers. Each is served by a TOR switch. One of the servers in each
rack is dedicated to DHCP/DNS services so there will be three of them
at least.

Each rack potentially is a subnet or VLAN by itself.  Every other
server in each rack should be able to reach any other servers in the
whole cluster. All names and addresses are internal private ones.

Questions are:

1. Does it make sense to have one DNS zone for the cluster?
2. Does it make sense to have one master authoritative DNS server and
two other slaves to cover the cluster and meet the HA requirement?

Thanks.

David