Newbie's BIND Questions on DNSSEC, HA and SD

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue Jan 19 18:14:42 UTC 2016

On Jan 16, 2016, at 9:33 PM, David Li <dlipubkey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to BIND. I am researching for a DNS server that can meet a
> list of requirements to be used in  a distributed system. They are:
>
> 1. Security (DNSSEC)
> 2. High Availability (HA)
> 3. Service Discovery (DNS-SD)

Hello David,

I think you’ll find 1 and 3 are easy to find. For 2, it depends on what you mean. Tony Finch has already given you several excellent options covering most of the use cases.

The one thing that is most difficult is HA for the primary master name server, which is the target for dynamic updates and is therefore fairly important; even a few minutes of downtime of this server might cause outages for DHCP service, for example. There are several commercial offerings that include this sort of HA. I work for one of these vendors, BlueCat.

Regards,
Chris Buxton