Delegation questions

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 12 09:11:25 UTC 2016

Am 12.08.2016 um 11:07 schrieb Willmann, Robert:
> Hi Harald,
>
>>> Do you see other downsides to forwarding?
>>
>> you get the lowest TTL in the whole chain and god beware none of the multi-hop forwarders have a cache hit so it makes it to the last in chain doing then recursion - it's a simple "worst case math"
>
> Do you ever have seen a significant issue with this in real life?

frankly i have seen so many problems caused by forwarding at all (at
random times websites not reachable due dns errors) and never faced
after switched anything to either recursion or authoritative

> Some companies I forward queries t, even give back their answers with a TTL of zero

that's not smart to do, even RBL's like Spamhaus have 5 seconds and when
you think about a client running in a loop you may understand why it's
better have it only once every 5 secods on the DNS server

> so there is not even a theoretical difference in the TTL between forwarding and other means of resolution in these cases.

that is not a typical real life case