Compiling BIND9 on CentOS 7

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Apr 25 16:09:44 UTC 2016

On 25/04/16 17:59, Sean Son wrote:

Hi Sean Son,

> I know I emailed the list about compiling BIND on a SystemD distro earlier
> last month. This time I have a different question. After I compile BIND9 on
> CentOS 7 , how do I get it to start up at boot time and how do I restart
> it? I don't want to have to write a systemd unit configuration file for it.
> I want it to run using a boot script or some other way that will allow BIND
> to start up at boot and also allow the system administrator to restart BIND
> if it ever stops running.

A systemd unit file is the *easiest* and *simplest* way to get BIND to
start at boot. Is there any reason you don't want to use systemd? It's
not difficult at all. You just a few lines in a file to create a system
unit.

If you don't want systemd to restart BIND if it crashes, then you can
just set:

Restart=no

Then, you can start BIND by hand with "systemctl start <unitname>".

Regards,
Anand