Multiple A and PTR and the "main" ones?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 11 12:22:44 UTC 2015

Am 11.09.2015 um 14:14 schrieb Marek Kozlowski:
> On 09/11/2015 02:10 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> Am 11.09.2015 um 14:02 schrieb Marek Kozlowski:
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> I have defined several A and PTR records for my main server.
>>> Unfortunately, recently I've noticed that some peer servers have
>>> problems with rev-resolving my IP (verifying the name and address) if
>>> there are too many As and PTRs. I'm wondering if it's possible to
>>> specify one A and one PTR as a "main" name (same as hostname) for this
>>> server? Yes' I can use a single A and PTR and multiple CNAME's, however
>>> I'd prefer the solution with As and PTSs only. Any kind of priority?
>>
>> no
>>
>> just don't specifiy more than one PTR for a IP
>
> Specifying multiple CNAMEs for the same alias is not possible

no idea what that means, a CNAME can point to anotehr CNAME in circles

> defining more than one PTR for the same IP is possible I believe there
> is some reason for it.

until now nobody was able to show me one

> I think sometimes I might be useful. Is it a bad practice?

it is a bad practice and leads exactly to the problems you describe when
the other side tries to verify A/PTR matching because there is just no
ordering like there is also no rodering having multiple A records for
the same name with different IP's

P.S.: stay on the list