lists subdomain not fully working

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Tue May 26 13:29:29 UTC 2015

Il 25/05/2015 15:39, Niall O'Reilly ha scritto:
> On Mon, 25 May 2015 11:26:58 +0100,
> Lucio Crusca wrote:
>> I moved my bind installation to a new server two weeks ago and I
>> copied the zones verbatim: on the old server everything was working
>> ok.
>    More precisely, you weren't aware of a problem, which is not
>    necessarily the same thing.

I am aware there wasn't this problem, because the two users told me
about this problem only after I moved the mailing list to the new
server. Before the move, they could use the mailing list just fine.

>> The zone lists.granellodisenape.org
>    This isn't a zone, as it's not delegated; it's just a host, as can
>    be seen by requesting relevant DNS resource records from one of the
>    servers (ns{1,2}.virtualbit.it) responsible for the zone
>    granellodisenape.org.

You are absolutely right, my mistake. It's the host where mailman is
installed, the new server.

>    Where your new server fits in all of this isn't clear, as you don't
>    mention what either its name or its address is.

See above, it's lists.granellodisenape.org.

>    It may be useful for you to use a public validation service (such as
>    http://zonemaster.net/) to check the name service for your zone.

I've tried, here are the results: http://zonemaster.net/test/13162

Seems to me the two warnings can't be the cause of a "non-existant
domain" error.

>> 550 RCPT address has non-existant domain <lists.granellodisenape.org>
>    From where I sit, this problem does not appear.
>
>    If you can confirm that this problem is still present, you'll need
>    to look for help with analysing it to someone who has access to the
>    name server(s) used by this SMTP server.  Either of the users you
>    mention may be able to help.

I confirm the problem is still present, and your suggestion confirms
what I was fearing: I won't be able to solve this problem, because I
need assistance from alice.it, the italian telco with a nice call center
full of monkeys, and I'm not even between their customers. I'm going to
tell the two users the only viable solution is changing email provider.