compile and install from source

Daniel Ryslink daniel.ryslink at dialtelecom.cz
Mon Mar 30 14:46:36 UTC 2015

Prefered procedure:

1) Install the ports collection via "portsnap fetch" and then "portsnap
extract" (or "portsnap update" if already installed)
2) Go to /usr/ports/dns/bind99 and type "make install"

Please note that after installing, you will have two versions of BIND on
your system:

- the default version of BIND that is installed with the system and
resides in /usr/sbin/, config is in /etc/namedb. Don't try to overwrite
this, it's not the right way to do it
- the version installed from ports or packages that resides in
/usr/local/sbin/, config is in /usr/local/etc/. That's the version you
want to use.

In 8.4., the default chroot for BIND is /var/named, you might want to
use that. Please not that in FreeBSD 10, BIND is removed from system and
replaced with Unbound as the default resolver, and the chroot in
/var/named is gone, you have to make it manually.

If you run Bind in chroot, you should have this in rc.conf:

named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-t /var/named"
syslogd_flags="-s -l /var/named/dev/log"

Use the rc script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named to start and stop the BIND
process.

--
S pozdravem,
Daniel Ryšlink