compile and install from source

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 30 14:28:59 UTC 2015

+--On 29 mars 2015 17:35:09 -0600 @lbutlr, kremels at kreme.com wrote:
| Downloaded and compiled bind-9.9.7 (FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE) and it built
| fine (./configure && make && make install).

What does the port version not do that you need ?

| If I try to start named (service named start), it starts this version
| instead of the version in /usr/local/sbin
|
| So I changed the path (in /etc/rc.conf) to /usr/local/sbin/named

If you had installed the port, it would have told you that:

*   You will need to make sure that you have the following line      *
*   in your /etc/rc.conf in order to have the startup script         *
*   run the named version from the port:                             *
*                                                                    *
*   named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named"                            *

| But now I get:
|
| $ /etc/rc.d/named start
| Starting named.
| /etc/rc.d/named: WARNING: failed to start named
|
| But nothing is logged in /var/log/messages
|
| For now, I am pointing back to the old 9.8.4 version.

Have you tried running it manually to see what it says ?

--
Mathieu Arnold