Bind in FreeBSD 10

cool hand luke coolhandluke at coolhandluke.org
Fri Jan 23 09:22:52 UTC 2015

On 01/22/2015 09:17 PM, LuKreme wrote:
> I know FreeBSD requires you to install bind if you need it as of
> version 10, but what i can’t find is if the packages bind910 and
> bind-tools overlap completely or not. That is, do I install
> bind-tools if bind is installed?

if you install the "bind910" package, you do not need to install the
"bind-tools" package.

in addition to the named, rndc, etc. binaries, the "bind910" package
includes all of the binaries (dig, host, dnssec-*, etc.) in the
"bind-tools" package.

basically, install "bind910" on your dns servers and "bind-tools" on
your non-dns servers (where you need/want the tools available).

hth,
/chl