Bind in FreeBSD 10

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 02:39:56 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 07:17:44PM -0700, LuKreme wrote:
> I know FreeBSD requires you to install bind if you need it as of
> version 10, but what i can’t find is if the packages bind910 and
> bind-tools overlap completely or not. That is, do I install
> bind-tools if bind is installed?

That question is better suited for a FreeBSD support list.

> Also, just quickly, is there a consensus on running 9.10 over 9.9?

That's tough to say.  Depends on your needs.

Look at the 9.10 new features.  If you need those, you probably do
want 9.10.  A couple of nice ones off the top of my head: the new
"in-view" zone option for sharing zones among views (useful in
multiple-view authoritative nameservers); and the prefetch feature
for recursive resolvers.  And of course on the tools side, 9.10
boasts the new delv(1) tool.

9.9 is the current Extended Support Version (ESV), so it's likely to
outlive 9.10.  If you're after long-term stability, ESV might be
important to you.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/