BIND 9.9.7 complains and dies if you use same zonefile for multiple zones

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Feb 23 19:02:44 UTC 2015

In message <0a15d92c-fd29-4718-9094-c84147dd546f at googlegroups.com>, blrmaani writes
:
> Hi,
>   named exits with failure on my host when I try to use same physical file for mu
> ltiple zones:
>

> ---- /var/log/all look something like below ... -------------
> starting BIND 9.10.2rc1 -u bind -t /var/named -f
> writeable file 'slave/zone1.txt': already in use: name.conf:1221
> writeable file 'slave/zone2.txt': already in use: name.conf:1285
> writeable file 'slave/zone3.txt': already in use: name.conf:1391
> exiting (due to fatal error)
> -------------- end log -------------------
>

> BIND 9.9.6 works ok and the above problem is seen while using BIND 9.9.7 or highe
> r versions.
>

> I guess this is a bug because I would like to use same physical files for multipl
> e zones (atleast we have been using it in our setup since several years now ..)
>
> Thoughts?

It is, and always has been, a configuration error to have the
same file used by multiple slave zones, multiple dynamically
updateable zones etc. even if the zones have the same name.

Referencing the same file can result is zone content appearing in
the wrong view.  Journals gettting corrupted.  Slaves not providing
redundancy when the master is down.  They can also increase the
amount of transfers that occur as the slave recovers from some of
these errors.

This error is now being caught.  Please update your named.conf to
use unique file names.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC