BIND 9.9.7 complains and dies if you use same zonefile for multiple zones

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:29:36 UTC 2015

Hi,
  named exits with failure on my host when I try to use same physical file for multiple zones:

---- /var/log/all look something like below ... -------------
starting BIND 9.10.2rc1 -u bind -t /var/named -f
writeable file 'slave/zone1.txt': already in use: name.conf:1221
writeable file 'slave/zone2.txt': already in use: name.conf:1285
writeable file 'slave/zone3.txt': already in use: name.conf:1391
exiting (due to fatal error)

BIND 9.9.6 works ok and the above problem is seen while using BIND 9.9.7 or higher versions.

I guess this is a bug because I would like to use same physical files for multiple zones (atleast we have been using it in our setup since several years now ..)

Thoughts?