DIG Info Request

Robert Edmonds edmonds at mycre.ws
Tue Feb 3 21:39:06 UTC 2015

Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 01:50:14PM -0500, Linux Addict wrote:
> > I do dig . +trace and the results seem show .new servers. This is
> > causing SERVFAIL for root query. Any ideas?
> >
> >  dig . +trace
>
> Contact the person who runs the resolver at 172.27.254.11 and report the
> problem about the root hints. dig +trace uses the configured resolver to
> only find the root nameservers, and directly does lookups afterwards.

Also note that there are only two bits different between ascii 't'
(01110100) and ascii 'w' (01110111).  Most likely the root cause is
memory corruption somewhere, rather than any sort of intentional or
unintentional misconfiguration.

See, e.g.:

    http://dinaburg.org/bitsquatting.html

    https://www.verisigninc.com/assets/VRSN_Bitsquatting_TR_20120320.pdf