BIND w/ Lync?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 14:12:59 UTC 2015

On 03/02/15 05:51, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> We have a Lync 2013 environment with all of its DNS records living
> within our primary domain (esri.com).  I have a need to override all of
> the Lync related DNS records so that they resolve differently for a set
> of client IP's (clients which connect via VPN).

This is not actually true. Microsoft claim this, and many Lync
"consultants" will insist on split DNS, but in our testing, Lync clients
will do a sort of "happy eyeballs lite", trying to connect to the
internal and external Lync hosts, and will determine they're outside
accordingly.

You'll get pushback from a "support" PoV though :o(

We did it without split DNS. It works fine.

Your main problem is likely to be the Lync client caching the IP address
of the backend server, never doing the DNS lookup ever again, and
failing when it's taken offsite. This is nothing to do with DNS - it's
just shoddy coding on their part.

> Unfortunately, the only solution I'm really seeing right now is an ugly
> one -- setting up a new view for this set of clients and then creating
> 25+ zones -- one zone per record I want to override (so that the
> primary domain -- esri.com, still gets handled correctly).  Maybe I can
> get away with fewer overrides, but right now that's the size of the
> list I have.  Even 10-15 isn't pretty from a management standpoint.

If you must do this, CNAME or DNAME the name(s) you need into a separate
sub-zone, and split-DNS that. That was our fallback.

Cheers,
Phil