bind 9.8 named_stats parser

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Sat Aug 8 03:17:15 UTC 2015

Hmm, wonder if I should upgrade my stats collector for cacti.

It had bee a while since I looked at my cacti, a I know there was a bunch of
graphs not working on it....

But, bind stats is still working....against the latest 9.9....despite the
graph titles of "Bind 9.6"

Before this script, I used to use one that fed off of querylog....that was
horribly unreliable, though the service collector is still being monitored
and kept running on my servers.  Possibly because our production cacti sever
(running on RHEL3) is still trying to keep up (pretty sure I'm not using it
on newer servers, should make a note to check.

Interesting that for some reason after the 1st of the month time has the time
on two computers have been wandering back and forth, while my ntp servers
have been stable.  At first I thought it might related to big poweroutage
then, but that was the weekend before. So, I wonder what I changed (though I
still looking for the thing I changed on August 3rd that is fill logs on a
couple servers.  Plus I need to unbreak my email search.)

On 2015-08-07 17:55, Leandro wrote:
> Wow, you gave me a very nice tip Rob.
> Now Im really interested in getting json format.
> I will begin by updating to 9.10
> Regards.
> LEo.
>

> On 04/08/15 16:38, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 04:01:56PM -0300, Leandro wrote:
>>> Hello , guys , im thinking about getting my bind statistics
>>> on cacti. Im looking for some parser script but so far I can
>>> not get anyone for my version, witch is 9.8.
>> I guess by "named_stats", you mean the file which is written for
>> "rndc stats".  (By default that's called "named.stats" and found
>> inside the directory specified in your named.conf(5) options.)
>>
>> Exactly
> I'd recommend against that. It's a relic of the past. Consider instead the
> statistics-channels statement:
> http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/cur/9.8/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#statschannels
> Consider also moving to a supported BIND version. In particular, BIND 9.10
> might be of interest, with upgraded statistics-channels functionality:
> https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01123/
>>> Is something around there ? ....
>>> If not .... I will need to deploy by my self ... then of
>>> course will share it.
>> There too, if you're doing things the old way on abandoned old
>> software versions, I wouldn't expect to find much interest.

Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
                                    with LOPSA Professional Recognition.
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally