Name-server redundancy

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jun 9 21:32:15 UTC 2014

Well, you shouldn't be getting an NXDOMAIN just because some of your
auth servers are off-line, but you could get some query timeouts if
performance to your failover servers is really bad (or blocked, due to
firewall rules, bad routes, etc.), or, if your expire times are *really*
low, and the master's been down a while, it's possible the zone may have
expired on the slaves.

In any of those cases, I'm suspecting you're using nslookup, and you
might be suffering from its horrible misfeature where it searchlists on
a query failure, and then reports the *last* RCODE it received as the
result of the entire lookup. So, for example, if your query is
www.example.com and your searchlist ends in the domain
department1.example.com, if the first query fails (e.g. with a timeout
or a SERVFAIL), nslookup might work through the searchlist, ultimately
querying www.example.com.department1.example.com, which returns
NXDOMAIN, and that's what nslookup (mis-)reports as the result of the query.

You can avoid this by dot-terminating the original query (thus
inhibiting nslookup's searchlist behavior), or even better, using a real
DNS troubleshooting tool like dig or host. If you want to continue to
use nslookup, at the very least add the -debug flag so you can see what
it's really doing under the covers.

                     - Kevin