stub zones

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Mon Jun 2 22:38:45 UTC 2014

So... without stub zones, you know the drill: your local resolver follows
delegation, starting from the root nameservers.  Delegation happens, and
life is good.  If you're running views, then things work fine as well: your
view just needs to be configured to allow queries from your local resolvers.

Let's say you're testing out a new set of authoritative DNS servers for
your domain.  These are authoritative-only nameservers (not necessarily
BIND, either: plenty of other software and cloud services out there).  You
want your local resolvers to not follow the usual delegation process: you
want them to begin delegation with your authoritative NSs.

>From my experience, the biggest difference between stub zones and forward
zones is that with stub zones, the RD bit is unset--it's up to the local
resolver to follow delegation, starting with the nameservers configured in
the stub zone, rather than starting with the root NS.

With forwarders, the RD bit is unchanged--you can easily end up sending
recursive queries to a server that isn't set up to handle them.  You might
also end up not getting a full answer to your query: the forwarder
destination isn't doing recursion, so your answer will only be one level
deep.

John

--
John Miller