stub zones

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Jun 2 22:07:06 UTC 2014

The typical use case for a stub zone is where the delegation chain is
broken, or incorrect, but you don't want to incur the overhead of
slaving the zone (or some other sort of bureaucratic snafu like the
owner/admin of the zone not letting you do zone transfers).

As a general rule, stub zones are usually a lesser evil than forwarding:
A) because there may be no nameservers available for the domain, which
honor recursion, or
B) in cases where there is a multi-level hierarchy, some of the
published nameservers for descendant zones may be closer, more reliable,
etc. than those responsible for the apex of the hierarchy, and the
algorithm built into named will help to optimize such traffic dynamically

I'm not sure I understand the view complexity you reference. Could you
clarify? Note that client source address isn't the *only* way to select
views -- many folks with complicated view configurations use TSIG keys
as a view-selection mechanism.

                                                             - Kevin