Bind 9.9.5 high CPU and when will Bind9.8 EOL?

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Tue Jul 29 08:09:20 UTC 2014

Have a look at reducing -n to the number of physical cores (which might
be 4 or 8) and then also have a look at -U (number of listening tasks
per interface).

Multiple listeners defaults to -n (number of worker threads).  It's
worth trying some tuning experiments from n/2 to n-1.  What works best
seems to be implementation/OS-dependent.

For info on the multiple listening tasks, see:

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00629/0/Performance%3A-Multi-threaded-I-O.html

Is it remotely possible that your named is using more CPU because it's
now handling a higher query rate more effectively, therefore the LB is
sending it more traffic than before?

Cathy