DNS passthrough on no explicit result?

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:35:38 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Steve Presser <steve at pressers.name> wrote:

> Hey all,
> Please forgive me if any of my terminology is off - I have not spent as
> much time in the  documentation as I'd like.
> I have an odd situation that I would like to know if it is possible and
> would much appreciate a pointer to any relevant  documentation or write-ups.
> I manage a domain name which, for reasons of reliability, uses an
> externally managed DNS server (zoneedit). We're looking to add private
> network DNS for internal machines. I've got BIND up and running on an
> internal machine. However, we have public records that need to be
> accessible internally (SPF, DKMS, jabber servers, MXs, etc). Additionally,
> using an internal-only namespace is not an option, due to laptops which go
> in and out of the network and need to be able to connect without settings
> modification.
> I'm trying to figure out how to do some sort of pass through  arrangement,
> where the internal BIND server will first attempt to do the lookup with
> local records. If it has no local record, it will then fall back to the
> answer returned by the external (zoneedit) server.
> I know that if there was only one server, this would simply be split
> horizon. However, I don't know what to call this setup, and am having a
> hard time searching for it because of that. (So I apologize if this is then
> a dumb question).
>
> Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks!
> Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid I'm not following you here.  You have records which absolutely
need to be public: SPF, MXs--mail won't work otherwise.  Do you want your
DKMS and jabber records to be internal-only, or can they be public as well?

If everything can be public, why the question?  If you want internal-only
records, why not just do split horizon of some sort where you use zoneedit
as a slave and your local BIND view as a master?  That way you have two
views, one for internal IPs, and one for external IPs.

John