DNS passthrough on no explicit result?

Steve Presser steve at pressers.name
Fri Jan 31 16:10:21 UTC 2014

Hey all,
Please forgive me if any of my terminology is off - I have not spent as
much time in the  documentation as I'd like.
I have an odd situation that I would like to know if it is possible and
would much appreciate a pointer to any relevant  documentation or write-ups.
I manage a domain name which, for reasons of reliability, uses an
externally managed DNS server (zoneedit). We're looking to add private
network DNS for internal machines. I've got BIND up and running on an
internal machine. However, we have public records that need to be
accessible internally (SPF, DKMS, jabber servers, MXs, etc). Additionally,
using an internal-only namespace is not an option, due to laptops which go
in and out of the network and need to be able to connect without settings
modification.
I'm trying to figure out how to do some sort of pass through  arrangement,
where the internal BIND server will first attempt to do the lookup with
local records. If it has no local record, it will then fall back to the
answer returned by the external (zoneedit) server.
I know that if there was only one server, this would simply be split
horizon. However, I don't know what to call this setup, and am having a
hard time searching for it because of that. (So I apologize if this is then
a dumb question).

Any help you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks!
Steve