BIND 9.10.0b1 has been released.

G.W. Haywood bind at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 12:44:37 UTC 2014

Hi there,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014, Michael McNally wrote:

> At ISC we are quite excited about the long list of new features and ...

I don't want to rain on your parade, and I know that this is likely to
be contentious, but I would just like to ask all at ISC (and I know it
isn't necessary, but I'll ask anyway) to remember that many of us out
here in the Totally Untamed Internet do not like our infrastructure
to be exciting.  Long lists of new features give me personally the
screaming heeby-jeebies.  The last thing anyone needs is a zero-day
BIND exploit in the wild.

Solid and dependable is good.  For the most part BIND is just that,
and I can't heap enough praise on the people who gave all that to us.

But I've noticed in the last few years that I've had to do more work
to keep up with bind developments when a few things have escaped that
perhaps should not have.  I've wanted to say this for at least a year
and I'm finally biting the bullet.

Please do not consider this in any way to be any kind of a criticism.
Maybe just a gentle nudge.  Hopefully a contribution.  Take your time.
Get it right.  No surprises please.  If that means that new features
aren't even compiled in unless I ask for them, that's fine by me.

Many of us seek no excitement at all in our working day.

--

73,
Ged.