What do you do when the Root records are wrong?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 18:21:38 UTC 2014

On Apr 3 2014, Maren S. Leizaola wrote:

>It seems that the problem is with Network solutions. The 208.91.197.132
>(ztomy.com) is one of their DNS names that they use for parking. Somehow
>this has been pushed out to some of the gtld-servers.net for udrtld.net
>and some of the gtld-servers.net are.
>
>xxxx.ztomy.com are authorative for anything you query them about...

Not *quite* everything (e.g. not "net", which confused me before) - there
seems to be a short exclusion list including some (not all) TLDs.

>I've tried changing the IP of the name servers on Networksolutions,
>hence e.udrtld.net has 4 ip addresses, though it is only one. They have
>removing the NS records of udrtld.net and then adding them to fix it, it
>has not helped but they are escalating it.

I don't see any evidence that the servers for "net" are not all in
step and have the right delegation for udrtld.net, in which case such
changes aren't going to help at all.

Once a recursive nameserver gets the NS records pointing to
ns{1,2}432.ztomy.com into its cache, it can be hard to ever make
it let them go, other than by explicitly flushing the cache. This
is the standard "make sure your old nameservers stop serving the
zone, or at least serve a version with the new NS records in"
situation. but the (highly anti-social, by the way) behaviour
of these nameservers makes that impossible to arrange.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk