BIND 9.9.4 is now available. Do we still need RRL & RPZ patches?

jen142 at promessage.com jen142 at promessage.com
Fri Sep 20 00:36:02 UTC 2013

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013, at 05:26 PM, Brian Conry wrote:
> Hi Jen,
>
> On 09/19/2013 07:00 PM, jen142 at promessage.com wrote:
>
> > Is that patch functionality fully integrated now in 9.9.4?  Or do I
> > still need to wait for & apply a next version patch?
>
> 9.9.4 includes the full functionality of the Vixie/Schryver RPZ and RRL
> patches, using the same syntax.

Good to know.

The fact that at

  http://ss.vix.su/~vjs/rrlrpz.html

There was a patch for 9.9.4rc1

  Multiple Zone Response Policy Zone (RPZ2) Speed Improvement with
  Response Rate Limiting (RRL)
    BIND9 9.9.4rc1
      file rpz2+rl-9.9.4rc1.patch
        version 9.9.4rc1-rpz2+rl.13214.22Version 9.9.4rc1 includes RRL
        with ./configure --enable-rrl so this patch only affects RPZ.

seemed to me to suggest that RRL was going to be included, but not RPZ.

That changed, apparently, between rc1 & release.

Oh, and just to be sure, RPZ*2* isn't different than 'just RPZ' included
in BIND, is it?