Authoritative internal server - how do I get rid of...

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Tue May 21 13:42:14 UTC 2013

Re Mark,

thanks for your answer (and good morning!),

marka at isc.org (Mark Andrews) wrote:

> > Recursion is off, and the root hints file has been removed from the local
> > zone config. No effect.
>
> Authoritative nameservers still need to lookup address of nameservers
> to send NOTIFY messages.  The message you see are as a result of
> the nameserver doing these lookups.

Oh, I forgot to mention that all master zones have "notify explicit;" set.
(Is there a global setting for that?)

So in theory they should not bother looking up root stuff.

> Additionally you have DNSSEC validation and/or managed keys for the
> root enabled.

Err...by default? How do I switch this off?

These BIND servers are really strictly internal, no outside routing, no
forwarders, they are being used for loading, auto-signing and then
serving-to-internal-slaves a handful of master zones, everything based on
local info. They can't look anything up and yet they work. So well...maybe
those lookups are really not needed?

Cheers,
	Elmar.