Authoritative internal server - how do I get rid of...

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue May 21 13:28:51 UTC 2013

In message <20130521085732.GH23797 at h.detebe.org>, "Elmar K. Bins" writes:
> ... these annoying root lookups:
> error (host unreachable) resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 192.112.36.4#53
> error (host unreachable) resolving './NS/IN': 192.36.148.17#53
>

> Hi guys,
>
> I guess a few of you have seen and mitigated this before. We're running
> a few BIND server strictly internally - for master zone loading, actually.
>
> Those servers have no external connectivity. Since they seem to routinely
> look up stuff concerning ".", I get a lot of the above error messages due
> to - certainly - unreachability of anything outside local.
>
> Is there any way I can get those BIND9 servers to *not* look up root stuff?
>
> Recursion is off, and the root hints file has been removed from the local
> zone config. No effect.

Authoritative nameservers still need to lookup address of nameservers
to send NOTIFY messages.  The message you see are as a result of
the nameserver doing these lookups.

Additionally you have DNSSEC validation and/or managed keys for the
root enabled.

Create a root zone for your internal namespace and configure hint,
master and slave root zones appropriately.

Workout if your are going to use DNSSEC and configure the nameserver
and zones appropriately for your internal namespace.