100% CPU / wedge with 9.8.3-P4 & RPZ?

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Sat Mar 16 18:46:41 UTC 2013

> From: Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>

> It's unfortunate I wasn't able to obtain one; gdb wasn't installed on
> the box, and I couldn't get the package installed because DNS was down.

Depending on the flavor of the system and its configuration, adding
lines to /etc/hosts can be effective for working around local or
remote DNS problems.

> Obviously if we're "lucky" and it happens again (with RPZ disabled or
> otherwise) then I'll grab a core, as gdb and the debug symbols for our
> binary are now installed.

A local copy of gdb is not required to create a core dump,
although I understand that some versions of gdb can be used.
I use `kill -6` or another fatal signal.
Some systems disable by default the creation of core files.  This
irritating, simplistic misconfiguration (that's only my view) is
especially common in the Linux world.  See
https://www.google.com/search?q=create+core+file

Gdb would have been handy for looking at named without creating a
core file or disturbing the process by more than what it would see
as a jump in time.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com