100% CPU / wedge with 9.8.3-P4 & RPZ?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Mar 16 17:40:06 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 03:31 PM, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> To debug and so have the least hope of eventually fixing this or
> any similar problem, I would build BIND with -g and capture a core
> file and associated libraries for a hung example,.  Whether your
> guess blaming RPZ is right or wrong, no progess is likely to be
> made without a core file.

It's unfortunate I wasn't able to obtain one; gdb wasn't installed on
the box, and I couldn't get the package installed because DNS was down.

Sadly, I can't say I'm optimistic about getting a core file, since we're
now running with RPZ disabled.

I will see if I can reproduce it on the bench with a synthetic RPZ and
query load, but re-enabling on our production NSes is a no-go in the
short term (and might not work anyway, if it's related to the serial
number / bulk update stuff that Simon has referred to in his email).

Obviously if we're "lucky" and it happens again (with RPZ disabled or
otherwise) then I'll grab a core, as gdb and the debug symbols for our
binary are now installed.