BIND roadmap

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Feb 28 14:28:32 UTC 2013

Shane Kerr <shane at isc.org> wrote on 02/28/2013 05:37:26 AM:

> On Thursday, 2013-02-28 11:19:01 +1100,
> Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> >

> ISC has no specific plans to end BIND 9 development. As Mark correctly
> says:

Thanks for the clarification.

> > BIND 10 is still a way off being a replacement for BIND 9.
>
> We are missing a lot of features in BIND 10 that are present in BIND 9.
> However, it is not as correct to say:
>
> > Development for both is still proceeding in parallel.  BIND 9 is
> > still the server to install for production.  BIND 10 is more for test
> > environments at this stage though we would like people to play with
> > it give feedback (good or bad).
>
> If BIND 10 has the functionality that you need - authoritative-only
> without BIND-managed DNSSEC signing - then BIND 10 *is* production
> ready today.

I need recursion, at least for some of our servers and I'd rather not have
learn and maintain different versions.

> The main issue is that it is a 1.0.0 version, so does not have the
> history of installed bases to increase confidence.

Will it ever be referred to and Bind 10.0.1 or will it always be bind 10
version 1.0.1?  The later sees confusing IMO.

> > As of BIND 9.9.3, BIND 9.9 will be
> > a extended support version.  BIND 9.9.0 was released March 2012
> > so it will be supported until March 2016 and perhaps further as per
> > the software support policy.
> >
> > https://www.isc.org/wordpress/software/software-support-policy/
>
> Note though that as far as I can tell, few people actually use the ESV
> software. Please let us know if the ESV policy works for you!

We're on a really, really old distro version (well, our externals are now
9.9.2 w/ RRL patches).  New servers will run BIND compiled from source so
I can pick my own upgrade path.

> Finally, we are currently discussing the BIND 9 and BIND 10 roadmaps
> and should have something we can publish shortly. Sorry to be so
> mysterious about it - it's nothing weird. :)

I look forward to seeing that.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.