BIND roadmap

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Thu Feb 28 10:37:26 UTC 2013

William,

On Thursday, 2013-02-28 11:19:01 +1100,
Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message
> <OFBF91A47C.2E7C9F7C-ON85257B1F.0049DE28-85257B1F.004AA51B at e1b.org>,
> WBrown at e1b.org writes:
> > Congrats to ISC and everyone that has worked on BIND 10!
> >
> > I am building new name servers and redesigning our infrastructure
> > with an eye towards streamlining, improving security and
> > implementing DNSSEC.  I had been testing a few things with BIND
> > 9.9.x.  Now that BIND 10 is released, I am wondering which way to
> > go.  Will ISC continue to develop the BIND 9 code stream?  I saw a
> > mention of RRL being added to 9.10, but how long will development
> > continue before hitting ESV?

ISC has no specific plans to end BIND 9 development. As Mark correctly
says:

> BIND 10 is still a way off being a replacement for BIND 9.

We are missing a lot of features in BIND 10 that are present in BIND 9.
However, it is not as correct to say:

> Development for both is still proceeding in parallel.  BIND 9 is
> still the server to install for production.  BIND 10 is more for test
> environments at this stage though we would like people to play with
> it give feedback (good or bad).

If BIND 10 has the functionality that you need - authoritative-only
without BIND-managed DNSSEC signing - then BIND 10 *is* production
ready today.

The main issue is that it is a 1.0.0 version, so does not have the
history of installed bases to increase confidence.

> As of BIND 9.9.3, BIND 9.9 will be
> a extended support version.  BIND 9.9.0 was released March 2012
> so it will be supported until March 2016 and perhaps further as per
> the software support policy.
>
> https://www.isc.org/wordpress/software/software-support-policy/

Note though that as far as I can tell, few people actually use the ESV
software. Please let us know if the ESV policy works for you!

Finally, we are currently discussing the BIND 9 and BIND 10 roadmaps
and should have something we can publish shortly. Sorry to be so
mysterious about it - it's nothing weird. :)

Thanks,

--
Shane