BIND master , Windows 2008 stub zone not transferring

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Thu Feb 21 18:21:25 UTC 2013

> From: Sowmya Manjanatha <sowmyam1 at gmail.com>

> Well, I have a stub zone on Windows 2008 server set-up to use two
> different BIND server as its list of IPs to use as masters.  In the
> DNS manager on Windows, you can always right click on the zone and
> select "Transfer zone from Master".  With Wireshark on Windows, I
> have found that this triggers a DNS request for the given zone
> name.

Yes.  DNS does a query for the SOA record so it can compare serial
numbers.  If the received serial number is not higher, no transfer is
started.

> You may be right that it may very well not be a zone transfer
> and just a regular query/response.  However, I was just going by the
> terminology on the zone from Windows.

Bad plan.  Microsoft like to redefine terms.  They do so in many of their
products, even terms that have been around since before Johannes Gutenberg
was moving type.

> In any case, the problem is
> that this zone transfer is finicky.  Sometimes, the zone is loaded
> correctly and sometimes that "Zone Tranfer failed" or "Zone Not
> Loaded by DNS Server".  It has also been hard to understand what
> makes this failure occur.

Are they allowed to do zone transfers (allow-transfer option)?

> Another problem I am also having is that Windows 2008 server doesn't
> seem to pick up the latest SOA i.e. it does not seem to honour the
> serial number within the SOA.  It appears it just picks up the 1st
> response it gets.  So, I find that sometimes the records are stale.
> I am trying to understand if there is any configuration in BIND that
> can help provide the right response the 2008 server prefers.

Do all of your masters agree on the serial number?

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.