BIND master , Windows 2008 stub zone not transferring

Sowmya Manjanatha sowmyam1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:11:19 UTC 2013

Well, I have a stub zone on Windows 2008 server set-up to use two different
BIND server as its list of IPs to use as masters.  In the DNS manager on
Windows, you can always right click on the zone and select "Transfer zone
from Master".  With Wireshark on Windows, I have found that this triggers a
DNS request for the given zone name.  You may be right that it may very
well not be a zone transfer and just a regular query/response.  However, I
was just going by the terminology on the zone from Windows.  In any case,
the problem is that this zone transfer is finicky.  Sometimes, the zone is
loaded correctly and sometimes that "Zone Tranfer failed" or "Zone Not
Loaded by DNS Server".  It has also been hard to understand what makes this
failure occur.

Another problem I am also having is that Windows 2008 server doesn't seem
to pick up the latest SOA i.e. it does not seem to honour the serial number
within the SOA.  It appears it just picks up the 1st response it gets.  So,
I find that sometimes the records are stale.  I am trying to understand if
there is any configuration in BIND that can help provide the right response
the 2008 server prefers.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Sowmya.