question about dns query distribution

M. Meadows sun-guru at live.com
Fri Feb 8 12:29:14 UTC 2013

They are authoritative nameservers.
Thanks for the reply!

Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 16:12:51 -0500
From: lkchen at ksu.edu
To: bind-users at lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: question about dns query distribution

Are these authoritative nameservers or resolving DNS servers?
If the latter, its probably because everybody has resolv.conf's listing ns1.tbd.com first and ns2.tbd.com second.
We used to have 3 recursive/caching servers....  x.x.x.2, x.x.x.3, x.x.x.4.  x.x.x.2 would get heavily used , with the other two practically being idle.  Later the networking group changed DHCP to hand out x.x.x.3 as the first nameserver.  So '2' mainly sees queries from most systems not using DHCP and '3' mainly sees queries from systems using DHCP.  And, most of my systems use '4' :)  They had talked about having DHCP use 3 first or 4 first for different parts of campus, but... they probably don't want to touch it, since it hasn't been updated since it was turned on 6+ years ago (its running ISC dhcpd v3.0.4.)
Though '4' is out in our powerplant where it only has 100BaseT.  '2' & '3' are in our datacenter with gigabit.
They all used to live out in the powerplant originally.  But, as the old hardware started failing, I scrounged up some old servers in the datacenter to replace them, but didn't get very far on doing the physical replacement process....  Perhaps I'll do better as these current hardware nears EOL.

Recently noticed that for 2 nameservers ns1.tbd.com and ns2.tbd.com (names are changed to protect the innocent) the first nameserver consistently receives twice as many queries as the 2nd nameserver.
Who can tell me why queries are distributed this way?
Any ideas?
I assume it's something relatively simple.
Thank you.
Marty

Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Senior Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally
Snail: Computing and Telecommunications Services (CTS)
Kansas State University, 109 East Stadium, Manhattan, KS 66506-3102
Phone: (785) 532-4916 - Fax: (785) 532-3515 - Email: lkchen at ksu.edu
Web: http://www-personal.ksu.edu/~lkchen - Where: 11 Hale Library