“Foreign” name in the reverse lookup zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Apr 17 15:42:27 UTC 2013

You can point PTR records anywhere you want. In fact, there's nothing
that even says that PTR records are limited to representing reverse
mappings, or that they can only appear in the in-addr.arpa hierarchy.
Strictly speaking, they're just name-to-name mappings, _sans_ the
special "aliasing" function of CNAMEs and consequent referential
restrictions, like the infamous "CNAME and other" rule. I wish more
people would understand that for simple name-to-name mapping functions,
PTR records are *superior* to TXT records, since PTRs benefit from label
compression, while TXT records do not. If one wants to encode more
information in the RDATA than just a name, however, then one requires
the extra "freedom" of TXT records.

                                                     - Kevin