“Foreign” name in the reverse lookup zone

PAVLOV Misha Misha.Pavlov at socgen.com
Wed Apr 17 14:49:55 UTC 2013

Folks,

Wonder if someone can kindly confirm that there is nothing wrong with having a PTR record in one of the subnet zone file (we are authorative for) with PTR to the name owned by another office (domain). A server exchange.north.our.company (owned and registered in north.our.company domain) installed here, on the same network as all local south.our.company machines. We own, are authorative and maintain the db.1.2.3 subnet reverse zone, but not the north.our.company name registered far away.

The DNS server is running BIND 9.3.4-P1
The routine DNS updates are done via the GUI (phpMyAdmin derivative) which has no provision for adding PTR records only and the team in charge is hesitant to manually add the

11              IN      PTR             exchange.north.our.company.

To the db.1.2.3 zone, populated with consistent entries like
. . .
12              IN      PTR             robocop.south.our.company.
13              IN      PTR             terminator.south.our.company.
14              IN      PTR             diehard.south.our.company.
. . .

TIA
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential, intended
solely for the addressee(s), and may contain legally privileged information.
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible
to alteration. Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or
affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.
Please visit http://swapdisclosure.sgcib.com for important information with
respect to derivative products.