No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

("SMI" = "Sun MicroSystems Inc."), and since none of the listed
copyright dates are later than 1989, I would suspect that this is the
original Sun supplied software.  From a brief note in the bible ("DNS &
BIND"), SunOS 4.1 supplied resolver libraries based upon BIND 4.8.1.  If
I remember correctly, the server software was also based upon the same,
or similar, version of BIND.

To the original poster, Cricket used to include instructions on how to
compile and install a newer version of BIND-4.9.x under SunOS (not
Solaris!).  This included instructions on how to modify the resolver
libraries also, to continue supporting NIS/YP host lookups.  This
information is gone in the new version of "DNS & BIND", but should be
available somewhere on the Web.  I think I remember finding it in a
comp.sys.sun.admin archive.

You can easily compile and install BIND-8 under SunOS without changing
the resolver libraries. This can provide you with current DNS server
software without having to muck with the libraries.  I really don't know
if anyone has worked to get the BIND-8 resolver functionality
incorporated into the SunOS libraries.

Anyway, done't use this old server software.  If you must run a server
under SunOS, at least get a current version BIND (4.9.x or 8.x) and use
it.

If the original question was only "what version of BIND is running",
pardon my verboseness.  I would guess that you have some 4.8.x version
running.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)