ISC Bind in Active Directory

Aaron Thompson athompson at berklee.edu
Thu Oct 18 18:03:09 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm hopping to get some feedback from people who use ISC Bind and DHCPD in Active Directory environments.

Currently we use Bind/DHCPD for dynamic DNS and DHCP.  It's been a pretty stable service, redundant and we are polling statistics with Cacti.  There is concern by Management of using a somewhat non standard approach for Active Directory SRV records being handled by ISC services and not AD.

The options we are looking at is migrating to AD for DNS and DHCP services or to have Bind/DHCPD handle SRV records for AD.

Some technical info on our our BIND environment.

Some Client Identifiers
300 DHCP Pools
Dynamic DNS
Cacti Graphs - Reporting
Syslog via Splunk

Overall it's been a very stable design for the last 5+ years.

If you have any relevant feed back I would appreciate it.  I'm looking for information on experience with Active Directory integration with ISC or if anyone has had problems/stability issues with AD doing DNS/DHCP or AD working with ISC.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a brief survey for Schools that have ISC running in an AD environment.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2VYNKWR

-
Aaron Thompson
Network Architect for IT Operations