What is the deal on missing "Authority Section" and "additional section" from google's DNS servers?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Jul 11 15:03:39 UTC 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 6:30 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> On 7/10/2012 6:37 PM, Michael Hoskins (michoski) wrote:

As you have just seen from one of your customers, there are a non-zero number of folk / devices that have issues with "larger" responses / responses with additional data / etc. Exactly what the devices are isn't (IMO) important, what is is getting answers to folk.

By *far* the majority of folk querying these services are end users / stub resolvers. What they are looking for is simply an A / AAAA and anything extra is simply wasted bandwidth, time, opportunities to get confused, etc.

Many things (correctly (IMO)) ignore the info in additional section due to past entertainment with cache poising, etc.

> It would be nicer if Google or OpenDNS would confirm they are doing
> it and why.

I think that it is clear from querying (at least Google!) that this is the case:
$ dig www.example.com @8.8.8.8 | grep ADDI
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

> No doubt both regard it as some sort of trade secret.

Hopefully not… ;-)

> Ted

There are only 10 types of people in this world -- those who understand binary arithmetic and those who don't.