dnsmasq+named together (was: Re: Forward Domain)

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Jan 19 21:05:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 04:41:15PM +0000, Markus Braun wrote:
> i googled the last days....i cant run DNSMASQ and BIND9 both on
> the same port or?

Obviously not, but I have set them both up on the same machine:
dnsmasq(8) as DHCP and authoritative DNS server, named(8) as
the upstream caching resolver for dnsmasq.

Excerpt from the dnsmasq config:

"
server=127.0.0.1#1053
# to use "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in resolv.conf(5)
no-resolv
"

And the entire named.conf(5) is simple:

"
# directory might not be necessary if not making reference to any
# files. Also, I chose to enable DNSSEC; you might not want that.
options {
        directory "/var/named";
        listen-on port 1053 { 127.0.0.1; };
        dnssec-lookaside auto;
        dnssec-validation auto;
};

# With named on two unprivileged ports, it could run as non-root, if
# desired. But if you're going to run as root, this controls stanza
# isn't necessary.
controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 port 1035 allow { localhost; };
};

# This is optional; without it and "/var/named/named.root" the
# built-in hints are used.
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};
"

Each project is well-documented; refer to the manual pages as
indicated and to the BIND 9 ARM for more information.