Forward Domain

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Jan 15 17:58:09 UTC 2012

On Jan 15, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Markus Braun wrote:
> > DNSMASQ is basically a DNS forwarder but it has a bunch of other
> > features. Check the Wikipedia page on it and if you have questions
> > please ask on their mailing list or forum.
> >
> > Regarding BIND, if you have issues with your server returning some
> > results within your server and other results when queried from the
> > outside you should take a look at BIND views.
> >
> > Please invest some time studying BIND, at least the basics to run a
> > "caching nameservers". You'll need that.
>
> i googled the last days....i cant run DNSMASQ and BIND9 both on the same port or?

Nope.  Most services are terribly selfish and will not let
other services bind to the same port which they are using.

> i though it is easy to create a forward under bind9.

It is easy to forward requests to another nameserver under BIND.

Like the person you just replied to said, I suspect that you mean
something else by the word, which BIND also provides via "views".

> caching nameservers? can you give some more details please?

Read the docs.  Or RFC-1034.  Or go pick up "DNS and BIND" from O'Reilly.

Trying to run a nameserver without any background knowledge is roughly
comparable to trying to drive a car with a blindfold on.  It's less a
question of "will you crash and break things?" and more a question of
"how quickly will you crash, how many things get broken, and how many
other people are going to be affected as a consequence...?"

Regards,
--
-Chuck