allow-query for a zone

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Jan 17 18:46:40 UTC 2012

On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:44 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>>> Whether you set allow-query to none, or remove the zone statement,
>>> clients will get an error when they try to query the zone.
>
> On 17.01.12 14:13, Jeff Peng wrote:
>> There is a difference when you develop a web interface for DNS system.
>> A user can "pause" the domain from web interface, if we remove the zone and records from BIND files, how will we do if user choose to enable the domain?
>
> simply: instead of adding "allow-notify {none;};" when user pauses a zone, you remove whole zone definition from the config file.

Or simply comment out the zone definition:

// example.com -- Zone stanza generated by WebUI
   zone "example.com" {
       type master;
       file "/etc/namedb/example.com";
   };

> When user unpauses, you will re-add the zone to bid config

// example.com -- Zone stanza generated by WebUI - paused.
//REMOVE_TO_UNPAUSE//   zone "example.com" {
//REMOVE_TO_UNPAUSE//        type master;
//REMOVE_TO_UNPAUSE//        file "/etc/namedb/example.com";
//REMOVE_TO_UNPAUSE//    };