allow-query for a zone

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jan 17 08:44:08 UTC 2012

On 17.01.12 14:13, Jeff Peng wrote:
>There is a difference when you develop a web interface for DNS system.
>A user can "pause" the domain from web interface, if we remove the
>zone and records from BIND files, how will we do if user choose to
>enable the domain?

simply: instead of adding "allow-notify {none;};" when user pauses a
zone, you remove whole zone definition from the config file. When user
unpauses, you will re-add the zone to bid config

>But with allow-query none, only adding a statement we can "pause" the
>domain for querying, but can re-enable it by removing this statement
>later.

The zone can stay on disk, in database etc, even when "paused".

You still need to edit the config file, so there's not big difference.

There's one Barry mentioned: With allow-query_none anyone who queries
will get REFUSED, when you remove the zone definition they'll get
SERVFAIL or maybe NXDOMAIN