BIND trying to use IPv6 for recursion

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Fri Jan 13 17:50:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:20:39AM -0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I am a relative newbie to running BIND in "production".  I have recently
> set up BIND 9.7 (on CentOS 6.2) as the nameserver for my home network.
> I am using Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my
> forwarders).
>
> My ISP does not support IPv6, and none of the network interfaces on the
> server has an IPv6 address (including the loopback interface).  Despite
> this, BIND appears to be trying to use IPv6 to communicate with other
> nameservers.  My log is filling with messages like:

I'm not familiar with CentOS, but I would be surprised to hear that any modern Linux distro didn't have IPv6 enabled by default; you should see at least link-local addresses on your active interfaces (address family inet6, beginning with fe80::) I'm only pointing that out because if you're *not* seeing those, it is possible that the tool you're using to look for IPv6 isn't working correctly.

If you're actually ahead of that point and really saying that none of your interfaces have *global* IPv6 interfaces, then the only other thing I could suggest is looking to make sure you don't have a tunnel interface for 6to4; I don't think that would be enabled by default, though.

Bill.