BIND trying to use IPv6 for recursion

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 17:20:39 UTC 2012

I am a relative newbie to running BIND in "production".  I have recently
set up BIND 9.7 (on CentOS 6.2) as the nameserver for my home network.
I am using Google's public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my
forwarders).

My ISP does not support IPv6, and none of the network interfaces on the
server has an IPv6 address (including the loopback interface).  Despite
this, BIND appears to be trying to use IPv6 to communicate with other
nameservers.  My log is filling with messages like:

error (network unreachable) resolving 'www.isc.org/A/IN':
2001:4f8:0:2::19#53

2001:4f8:0:2::19 is sfba.sns-pb.isc.org, which is one of the nameservers
for the isc.org zone.

I've tried Googling and looked through the ARM, but I haven't found any
way to change this behavior.

Hints appreciated.  Thanks!