dnssec question. confused.

Joseph Karpenko karpenko at cisco.com
Thu Sep 29 21:59:09 UTC 2011

Just an FYI - This is no longer the case for ASA/PIX after the
commit of CSCta35563 - which went into the codebase in 2009.11.

After the above commit, "the default" has been changed.  Non-EDNS
replies will still have the message length set to 512.  But EDNS
replies will use the advertised buffer size value specified by the
requester in the OPT pseudo-RR.

The command "message-length maximum client auto" was added to
version 7.2.1 via the introduction of AIC inspection for DNS.
However, when introduced if multiple maximum lengths were specified,
like:

!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
    parameters
        message-length maximum client auto
        message-length maximum 512
!

Then the lesser of the two (typically 512 in the DNSSEC case) would
be selected.

With the fix for CSCta35563, we first check if the OPT pseudo-RR is
present in a query request, and if so, that buffer size value is
used.  Otherwise, we fallback to using the global value of 512.

In summary, customers running a version with the fix for CSCta35563
will work fine if they have the following configured:

Versions with fix for CSCta35563:
---------------------------------
!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
    parameters
        message-length maximum client auto
        message-length maximum 512
!

Customers running a version prior to the fix for CSCta35563 will
need to increase the global message-length maximum to 4096, until
they upgrade to a version with the fix.

Versions without fix for CSCta35563:
!
policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
    parameters
        message-length maximum 4096
!

regards,