CNAME or A record?

feralert feralert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:19:41 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked trillions of times but since I couldn't
find any concrete answer/reference in google I am asking you guys in
this list. Sorry if anyone thinks this a dumb question or something
very obvious.

The thing is that i want users redirected to 'www.domain.com' even
when they just type the domain name 'domain.com'.
In order to do so I am not sure if its best to have one A RR for each
or have an A RR for the domain and a CNAME RR pointing to 'domain.com'
for 'www.domain.com'.

domain.com           A            1.1.1.1
www.domain.com   A            1.1.1.1

OR

domain.com           A            1.1.1.1
www.domain.com   CNAME  domain.com

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred