Delegation check failed

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Sep 20 15:52:14 UTC 2011

On 20/09/2011 14:25, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> On going there and testing water.com domain I see:
> Delegation<javascript:void(0);>
>
> ·         Nameserver dswadns1.water.com is listed for zone water.com without address information.
>
> ·         Nameserver dswadns2.water.com is listed for zone water.com without address information.
> However, it clearly found the IPs of these name servers.    The IPs were entered at the registrar some years ago lookups of our domains work fine.   Additionally whois shows the correct IPs for the above name servers being returned by the Registrar.   My zone file has A records with the correct IPs as shown below.:
>
>                 IN NS   dswadns1.water.com.
>                 IN NS   dswadns2.water.com.
> dswadns1        IN A    12.44.84.213
> dswadns2        IN A    12.44.84.214
>
> So I’m curious what exactly the above delegation messages are trying to tell me.   The description in the FAQ doesn’t really seem illuminating to me.

This is the www.zonecheck.fr checking tool?  Like it says quite clearly
in the instructions, where the nameservers are part of the domain being
checked then you need to give IP numbers too.  If you do that, then the
water.com domain passes the test albeit with a few warnings about
everything being on the same network segment / same AS number.

Yes, if you're checking a live domain correctly registered and with the
right glue records in place, then zonecheck can find your nameservers
without external prompting.  If you're trying to check an unregistered
domain, then zonecheck will definitely need those IP numbers.  That's
really all those messages are trying to tell you.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3